Friday, February 25, 2011

Video did not kill the Vintage Star

I have been watching vintage hair and make up videos on you tube for a couple of nights now. There's this girl named Aja who is a Canadian American freelance make up artist who gives absolutely wonderful vintage 1950s tutorials online. For days I have been discussing with OTN if I should do my own hair and make up for our classic inspired engagement session. I thought if only I can practice and given the right materials--I think I might just be able to pull it off...I think.Haha. So I bought myself yesterday hair styling lotion, mousse (which I have not used for ages and somehow always reminds me of my 5th grade bestfriend Michelle), hair pins, prong clips and false eyelashes. Yey!

Forgive me if I will give you the fright of your life. It's my first time to experiment on my hair. I cannot even braid my hair before so this is all fairly new to me. I am still sporting my scooby doo scrubsuit turned nightsuit and obviously I just woke up. I set my hair 7 hours straight as Aja suggested so yes, I slept with my curls on. I just neatly covered it with a scarf. I looked like a 1950s grandmama last night. LOL. As for the make-up, I am really working on it. I have tried on different make up styles for nights now and I am still figuring out how it will resist the harsh photography lights. Im thinking of buying a darker shade of foundation because at least the base will make the eyeshadow, blush on and other eyeworks pop out.

So here it is. Hindi po ako kumain ng litson kaya pagpaumanhin ninyo kung yung lip gloss ay masyadong makintab.

By the way, if you're interested, I have attached the vintage tutorial done by the mega talented and uber beautiful Aja of Vintage Make up videos. As I told you, this is my first time to execute this--I have never styled my hair in this lifetime or in my previous lifetime. There was no heating or curling materials used here --only hairpins would you believe? To have a lasting look, I believe copious amount of hairspray will be able to retain the style. I would say the level of difficulty for this look is slightly difficult to moderate. But with much effort---it can be done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lMz4CZllso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kap_hDNNDH4&feature=fvwrel



Before and after the sabotage

2 comments:

  1. Good job Ema! Naku I wish I could curl my hair like that...dead straight e, hopeless case. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Clare, thanks! Actually my hair has been rebonded many times and apparently Aja's technique works! I posted the link of her videos in you tube..check it out when you've got the chance! :) :)

    ReplyDelete